THE UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST INDIES
MONA, JAMAICA, WEST INDIES
Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons for the post of:
Deputy Librarian, Public and Outreach Services, and Special Projects
The University of the West Indies (Mona), Library is seeking innovative, energetic and dynamic Deputy Librarians who work closely with the Campus Librarian and Library staff to achieve transformational change and to foster a culture of collaboration and communication.
Applicants must possess at least a Master’s degree in Library and Information Studies and a minimum of 5 years’ experience in leadership and management. The applicants must also demonstrate a commitment to research and scholarship and have a leadership style that is consultative and inclusive.
Duties and Responsibilities
This role provides strategic and operational leadership in the development, management and delivery of excellent and sustainable services to support the teaching, learning and research of the University community, as well as leadership in the creation and execution of special projects and initiatives. The incumbent will work with Heads of Branches, the Head of Public Services, and the Coordinator of the Mona Information Literacy Unit (MILU), to provide leadership in areas of public services, teaching/learning and outreach, assessment, and user experience, and will:
- Provide leadership for all Public Service and Outreach activities of the Mona Library and foster a culture of collaboration and excellence in service
- Create and lead in the execution of Library policies and procedures based upon current and emerging trends in academic library operations
- Work with Heads of Branches and the Head of Public Services to create and support the execution of traditional and cutting edge services designed to meet the current and future needs of patrons and advance the strategic objectives of the Library
- Provide vision and leadership for various outreach activities and coordinate the development of a comprehensive marketing and advocacy programme
- Have primary responsibility for grant-writing, and developing projects and activities including new initiatives
- Lead in the development of collaborative Campus partnerships with units, e.g. the Department of Library and Information Studies (DLIS), and Mona Office of Research and Innovation (MORI)
- Interact with internal and external stakeholders with regards to special projects
- Assist with the supervision of professional staff with respect to hiring, deployment, job descriptions, appraisal, and career development
- Advise and assist the Campus Librarian in the formulation of strategic direction in relation to facilities and space management
- Assist the Campus Librarian in managing, directing and monitoring the activities of standing and ad hoc committees, teams, etc.
Detailed application giving i) full particulars of qualifications and experience, biodata; and ii) the names, titles, mailing and e-mail addresses, fax and telephone numbers of three (3) referees should be sent as soon as possible to the: UNIVERSITY REGISTRAR, OFFICE OF ADMINISTRATION, THE VICE CHANCELLERY, UNIVERSITY OF THE WEST INDIES, MONA, KINGSTON 7, JAMAICA, W.I. ATTEN: Mrs Deon Nicely-Simpson, E-mail:(email@example.com OR firstname.lastname@example.org) or Fax: (876) 977-1422
Further particulars of the post including full details of the remuneration package may be obtained from the Office of Administration by contacting us on – Fax: (876) 977-1422; or E-mail: (email@example.com). The Further Particulars may also be obtained from our website at (http://www.uwi.edu).